When you want to put your large order of wholesale lotion bottles to good use, you should try your hand at making different types of lotions for yourself, friends, and family. Once you get good at it, you can sell your creations online or at flea market booths. Like soaps, lotions can contain all kinds of essential oils and other natural ingredients. Lotion types can be customized to skin types and to the age of the recipient. Read below to find out how to make one of the many different types of lotions.
- 1 cup almond oil infused with your favorite herbs
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup beeswax
- 4 tablespoons Shea Butter
- Your favorite essential oils
- Combine all ingredients in a large Mason jar or glass bowl that can withstand heat. Many of the materials will be solids, which means you cannot mix them together quite yet.
- Place a saucepan with a few inches of water in it on the stove over medium heat. The saucepan must be large enough to fit the jar or bowl. Consequently, you can use a Dutch oven for this, but only if you have one set aside for things other than food.
- Place a lid on the jar loosely and place it in the pan. If using a bowl, cover it with a large plastic lid.
- Cook the ingredients until they melt. Start stirring as the wax and other ingredients melt inside the glass. Make sure you stir until everything has melted and is combined.
- Remove from the heat and let it cool for 2-3 minutes. Be ready with a funnel and the lotion bottles. Fill each bottle with your lotion. Make sure that the lotion bottles are not the pump kind, as this lotion is very thick.
You can use this lotion just as if you would any other. It can last for up to six months in storage, but you’ll like it enough to start using it right away. Because the ingredients are stable, this lotion lasts a long time, but many other types do not. Only use a little bit at a time, since this lotion is very thick and a little goes a long way. Use it for rough and dry skin, eczema, and diaper rashes on a baby.
When making lotions at home, you can play with the different scents and textures. Many lotions also allow you to swap out ingredients. For example, you can use olive oil instead of almond oil. You also do not have to infuse the oil with herbs if you do not want. Infusing the oil means that you add fresh or dried herbs of choice to it, let it sit for a few days, and then strain it out before using it. You can also make essential oils in a similar manner, though it is much easier to buy them. Experiment to see what you favorite scent is, or mix two together in a batch of lotion to see how it comes out.
For more information about making lotions and soaps, contact us at Essentials by Catalina.